January marks my first year as a Web Logger…
I have been writing here on Teaching TV for just over a year now. Not as faithfully as I should and not with the number of readers I would like to reach but a year’s still a year. And, knock wood, I am looking forward to 2009.
It Could Happen.
There are some things that I would like to see happen in 2009. It will most likely be a pretty selfish list but I’m entitled…Right?
- I would like to update Teaching Television at least once a week.
- I would like some equipment to come into the classroom that has some real world relevance. No more consumer camcorders.
- I would like the sun to come out more than four times a month.
- I would like students to stop emulating some of the ridiculous behavior of their favorite cartoon characters.
- I would like to start the documentary I have been mulling over. It is on a forgotten piece of Tennessee history and involves lawyers, racism, guns, false arrest, cruel and unusual punishment, technological advances, government oppression and worker’s rights. It also involves a war that nobody ever heard about.
- I would like to re-start the book I have been working on and throwing away on a regular basis. It involves the same stuff as the documentary.
- I would like to get better at After Effects.
- I would like to find someplace to do some freelance work. Or maybe a new job.
- I would like to find a new series of books as good as the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O’Brian. Barring that, I plan to reread the 20 books in that series.
I am certain that there are tons more but I am surrounded by half a dozen students who all want to discuss popular culture and the media and Facebook and whatever.
So anyway, it’s a new year and I plan to go into it with enthusiasm. I’ll let you know how I’m doing with that.